Overcoming Telephonophobia

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

For Music Featuring Phones... who can I turn to?

Jenny, of course! The first song that came to mind when I was searching songs to incorporate into my audio piece on Alyssa's phone phobia (hold your horses-- it will be put up soon) was the 867-5309/Jenny song.



I have heard the story that the various people with this phone number across the country got so annoyed because of the call volume they received with people searching for Jenny. So supposedly I heard that the number is out of service all over the nation. An urban legend website verifies it as true that "Jenny (867-5309) drove the phone companies (and their costumers nuts." What a bland and obvious statement to make!

What happened as a result? Besides annoyance nothing. Although it may have driven them nuts, the number exists. This hit song that reached number four still is in service. With the sample of two area codes that I dialed are still in service. I hopefully didn't wake two sleeping families tonight testing out this little experiment. I called my home town that happens to be two hours later (1:18 am) and a phone number in the Bay area, where the song was created, (1:18). I let it ring once and rapidly hung up the phone. Take out your phone to see the best speculation that urban legends came up with. The number was created because of the placement of the number buttons that go in an upwards diagonal (8 & 6; 7, 5, & 3; and finally 0 & 9).

The results I found were not accurate according to an experiment that a man conducted in 2004 where he found that most of the numbers were out of service. Check it out!

For the quite upsetting facts about the song Jenny, check out songfacts.com. There was no Jenny that inspired Tommy Tutone.

No comments: