Overcoming Telephonophobia

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Welcome to the World of Scamming Phobias

As I was adding a separate links for every phobia listed in the post below, I quickly became temperamentally irritable. Not only did blogspot fail on me, but I was attempting an arduously frustrating feat... any guesses? I have learned a great lesson-- to go with intuition. My first reaction to the youtube video was correct. It is mostly nonsense and poking fun at phobias.

This photo thanks to Flikr explains how I felt.
Sure, the video may have some truth to it. I did have a friend in high school who didn't like to be touched and all people can be afraid of the dark at times. You can be afraid of peanut butter sticking to your mouth and dying in the midst of chocking as tears form in your eyes. And why wouldn't you be afraid of a flowers at your doorstep on Valentine's day when you just broke up with your boyfriend and are hoping it is finally over? So there can be a bit of truth to all these fears.

I am not quite to the bottom of the bare-boned facts yet, but I believe that these phobia "treatment" centers have created a lot of the phobias themselves.

Let's go through an example. When I first typed in ophthalmophobia, which is the fear of being stared at, into google, the first hit simply provided a bare-boned definition from answers.com. This shows how little information about specific phobias is available. Wait a minute and fear not because information is in the making on ophthalmophobia by website that guarantees 100% satisfaction in 24 hours for only $147.

This website is also in the process of naming the phobia itself. They want to know which name seems the right one for you. This is purely for advertising purposes. Because when you do choose between Being Stared at Phobia, Being Stared at Fear, Stare Fear, and ten other options, it goes to almost the same exact next page excpet the name you choose is now inserted!

Changethatsrightnow.com is one of the two "curing" websites I quickly noticed that always had information about the phobias I was seeking information about. The other website is phobia-fear-release.com that guarantees to stop your phobia with treatment without having to pay for phobia medication that supposedly, as advertised by this company, costs more than $ 1000 a year. Now with just 10 minutes a day and $67 dollars your phobia can be vanished!

Can you imagine if I was suffering from a serious phobia and believed as advertised that "Acclaimed [insert my phobia's name here] treatment seen on NBC & ABC news"? I might not be aware of the scam and subject myself to buying the cds with true hope. They may or may not work, but what matters is that the primary goals of these companies is not to help people to overcome their phobias, but to make a profit. And I would be skeptical if they are drawing any costumers in. I am an advocate that with a strong willingness and determined mind one can cure their phobia independently. I believe this website can put you towards the right step in having freedom from your phobia. You can even do it without buying the manual they suggest! Good luck!

No comments: