Overcoming Telephonophobia

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Persistance is the Path to Success... "My friend" came out!


Here's a little background before I reveal to you the victory that happened yesterday! I am doing this story with a particular phoneaphobic in mind. This friend was unaware that interviewing her for my final project meant telling the world about her phobia on the web. She initially thought that it would be an edited audio recording for my class's enjoyment. She did not know the whole picture.

Since I did not tell her from the bat and conveniently could not get a hold of her because surprisingly enough she wasn't answering her phone, I thought I would keep her as "my friend" the whole time. Now she is willing to go public with her fear. Her name is Alyssa. She is my dear friend who has a fear of using her cell phone to call or answer. However, texting and voicemails pose no problems whatsoever. She can control those messages.

You may be thinking she can control what she says on the phone, but it is not that easy. Fear of judgment may be her real phobia.

No comments: